Little Stars Montessori (LSM) was established on 4th May 1982 by Mrs. K.M. Jayamaha with an initial enrolment of 8 students at Kapuwatte, Ja-Ela, Sri Lanka. Mrs. Kanthi Ranasinghe was the first teacher who was recruited to the Montessori. Rev. Fr. Nicolas Fernando the Parish Priest of Ratnapura was invited for the opening ceremony which was followed by holy Mass.
Our first concert was held in December 1982 in the school garden with Eight children and an audience of Forty.
In January 1983, Fifty children were enrolled. The annual concert in December was held at the school premises with over 200 people in the audience.We saw an increase in the number of children in 1984. With Mrs. Ranasinghe leaving, two new teachers were recruited. We branched out in 1987 and opened a school in Wattala with 15 children.
Little stars saw further expansion with yet another school being established in Negombo in 1994 with 7 children.
2004 witnessed a big change in the school concert with a significant increase in the number of children. The concert was held at the BMICH, Colombo, Sri Lanka, the largest conference hall in the country with the participation of all three branches. There were 1200 in the audience.
2007 was a turning point for Little Stars Montessori as it marked the celebration of its 25th year.
From our humble beginnings in 1982, the year 2012 saw us celebrating 30 years of dedicated service.